Father Daughter Duo - A journal of Scouts

Pretty much an open forum. Need to get something off your chest? Dump it here.
JDMJNKY
Vehicle(s): Scout II

Update. A day late but I've successfully made it through re-installing the valve cover and the carb removal phase. Looking back I should have taken a before and after but oh well. Tomorrow I plan to grab some hardware for the carb, then new hoses/lines and a PCV valve before moving onto the driver side VC.

after a vacuuming of the oil drain back holes and rocker arms to remove some old gasket debris I re-installed the RH VC.

hoping this donut is seated (I'm sure IH could have designed this better) :/

wanting to not leave removed parts untouched, I cooked some parts in degreaser. Both paint and grime removed w/ ease.

then some basic primer & paint

Out to lunch.
JDMJNKY

spent some time after the carb replacement to map this out, unplanned, but needed. I can recall the day the truck arrived and I popped the hood, it drove me nuts.

carb replacement, I plan to remove the choke cable. Hopefully I no longer need it.

post carb install - I can dig it. more things to sort, but you get the gist of it.
Out to lunch.
Big Ed
No limits
No limits
Vehicle(s): C1300 and 1110D

Nice work.
64 C1300 4X4, 345, T34, T18, NP202, D70F with ARB & 35 spline Chromoly axles, RA15 with Detroit Locker, 41" Iroks, front & rear PTO winches, recent makeover.
Big John
No limits
No limits
Vehicle(s): 73 Scout 11 4X4, 71, 72, 73 Traveletes all 4X4's 3 IH Garands, IH refrierator And?

I do not know why this post showed up??? Congrats on your scouts.Hope to see you all at a meeting or on a run. I'm up in frazier park. And we are a pretty active group. Work parties. Potluck, runs. And stuff. Grapevine chapter. Scouts west.
JDMJNKY

Big Ed wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:16 pm
Nice work.
Thanks guys, sorry I haven't updated in a while, I've been sidetracked.

Big John wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:38 am
I do not know why this post showed up??? Congrats on your scouts.Hope to see you all at a meeting or on a run. I'm up in frazier park. And we are a pretty active group. Work parties. Potluck, runs. And stuff. Grapevine chapter. Scouts west.
Me either. But thanks for the warm welcome. I just officially joined the club over the weekend. I've met a few guys, such a load of knowledge. The sense of community is great too. I still fight the new guy jitters but i'm here to stay. I'd definitely like to get this '78 up and running. I was able to grab a '72 SSII last year, hoping maybe I'll be able to trade this off for a R110 pick up and use that for my work truck.

- Joel
Out to lunch.
RexG
Vehicle(s): none unfortunately, but i grew up driving a 1969 800A

Joel - I enjoyed reading your progress so far. I'd like to respectfully request an update :)
JDMJNKY

RexG wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:31 pm
Joel - I enjoyed reading your progress so far. I'd like to respectfully request an update :)
HAHA 'dem binders haven't been too kind. In any case, REQUEST GRANTED!

No major updates on my part. Don't recall what I was doing exactly but something told me to pull the oil pan on the scout during the process of changing the valve cover gaskets. But I found some alloy chunks that killed all motivation, at least for now. Then the daily driver car issues were attacking from all corners I just put this issue on the back burner.

For Christmas my daughter received a new TBI setup for her scout and I've began sorting it to get her out and about enjoying it.

sorted the light bar connections first, they now work. Between tomorrow and sat. I'll be doing the engine harness

fixed the connector issues w/ an amazon mail & female set the old connection was damaged and Holley was no help finding one. Neither was the (napa) parts store. Either way it's sorted we should be able to fire it up again if all goes well.

inside the cabin another fantastic job to be sorted....
Out to lunch.
Joe V
Half-tank
Half-tank
Vehicle(s): Bone stock Scout II

Great thread Joel...btw, the composite exhaust donuts don't usually last very long, the aluminum ones are better.
JDMJNKY

Joe V wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:25 am
Great thread Joel...btw, the composite exhaust donuts don't usually last very long, the aluminum ones are better.
Noted Joe, sadly this motor is toast anyway.

After a tune up it may be time to get my daughters scout to some chevy pros. Although it runs better w/ the new TBI, not by much.

sorted for now.
Out to lunch.