Father Daughter Duo - A journal of Scouts

Pretty much an open forum. Need to get something off your chest? Dump it here.
JDMJNKY
Vehicle(s): Scout II

Hello everyone,

My name is Joel. First and foremost thank you all for keeping such beauties alive. A bit of our backstory and how we arrived here is interesting (to us). My daughter has always been the "fly the coupe," free-spirited type and just celebrated her 18th over the lockdown; as for my wife and I who recently began shooting after 4 or more years of gun ownership (the ol' we're just to busy excuse), the change was just what the doc. ordered. Our first trip to local range required a rocky climb, while our 07 tahoe got us there we both agreed that it was not the truck for the job.

Her and I began looking for 4x4 trucks. I came close to to making some deals, missed some deals, so on and so on. Somehow I held this vision in my head that a scout would nearly be impossible to find and come at a fortune. One day while chatting with my daughter, she starts talking about broncos; our magic carpet ride from there was about a month (3 out of 5 of us would scour the WWW) until we found the scouts that fit our budget(s). I've always been the diamond in the rough guy, I believe buying something at 15 doesn't beat building your own at 15-20k (not my budget just an i.e., but I'm sure one day i may arrive there). Taking the time to explain how this all pans out to my daughter was a different story LOL.

FFWD to present time, we now have two scouts, an 800 and a scout II, and I have a whole lot of work on my hands. Here are our short intro. vids. Hope you all enjoy, for we are now thrilled.

Ours
https://youtu.be/crOFj3NllzI

Hers
https://youtu.be/08pN8zsN2GY
Out to lunch.
JDMJNKY

08/11/2020
Today was a short work day. When I arrived home with much sunlight, the kids and I tackled rinsing all the mud from the 800s undercarriage. This car is unknown to us besides the year make and model. It does have the 4.3 Liter V6 engine from a blazer, which is cool I suppose (at least from what I've read). The previous owner stated that other than the engine mod, the drivetrain is factory.
  • If you guys spot anything, please feel free to point it out. Seasoned eyes are welcomed.

....and while I know the car runs and drives, the engine bay is a hideous sight; calling me to clean upi the wiring. Coming from import vehicles to domestic, all this TBI cross breeding has become confusing (why? because I was hoping to find the golden how-to ticket LOL). I'm not the wing it type when things are new to me, so this may not be such a fun challenge after all. What I'll attempt is to clear this rats nest and update/fix all non working gauges.

This may as well be coordinates to the milky-way, I've never seen anything like it in an engine bay....I'll have it ID'd and understood here shortly.
Out to lunch.
JDMJNKY

08/12/2020

Today I got a chance to confirm some gauge functionality. I know the oil psi gauge works. Tomorrow I'll check the speedo. The rest of gauges do not. As you can tell, the pace will be slow because I will attack this as my daughter is ready. Don't feel like taking point on her project. After I finish the inspection/ functionality check I'll hand her a to do list.
Out to lunch.
JDMJNKY

08/27/2020
UPDATE for SII - Match port CYL. heads & IM, Refurbish cylinder heads, Have TQs refurbished.
Met a great guy named Joe V while looking for a spread bore IM. Turns out it was somewhat destined to be. He also happened to have more parts i was after. A slightly damaged 9128s TQ, and then few weeks later I asked if he had some spare 345 heads non-smog; and guess what? He sure did. That IM I dropped off at the machine shop for blasting, I wish I had taken a before and after of that. Anyway, here are the cylinder heads & TQ.

TQ w/ small crack in the bowl

Wanting a TQ for parts if need be, While reading comments I was able to source a second SB IM, and TQ. What was awesome was the seller and I lived about 25min apart. Images of that haul.
Out to lunch.
JDMJNKY

09/06/2020
Gasket kit has landed. Let the match porting begin. Learn something new every day. Sealed Power = Felpro. :/

And my daughter got some gauges to resto/replace
Out to lunch.
JDMJNKY

09/14/2020
Tested the ran when parked (4/5yrs ago) theory and lucked up....... So excited guys. I got "stella" moving under her own power yesterday. It was a fun few laps around the neighborhood. Joyus, it was a great motivator to say the least.

Corrected firing order
added some brake fluid - brakes activate near the floor
added some trans fluid - cycled through the speeds and we were off.
Out to lunch.
JDMJNKY

09/17/2020
No serious update, I've been playing with the scout start up issues. Before this weekend it required some pumps of the pedal to fire up. I believe I have dialed that part in, as I've realized the choke arm needed to bent a smidgen. At first click she fires right up. The down side is, she runs so rich my eyes burn and there's a leak at the throttle shaft. The old 2210 seems to be past it's useable life. I also hear the exhaust leaks and have begun to remove the manifolds. Thanks to some PB the right side is off. I will adjust timing again by re-staking the distributor, buying some denso wires, a new carb base gasket, a refurb'd 2210 I got for cheap will go on when the maintenance is all said and done.

Question, Should I buy new heat riser valve (to preserve "the vintage") or just turn it into a block off/delete plate?

a pic of the VC prior to some resto

gasket confirming the leakage

manifold confirming the botched install. I'm unsure if that was a crush gasket or build up, but I'll be sure its smooth before the install.

I'll more than likely open this up

heater valve gasket worn & the valve plate is non-existent

and lastly the donut is shattered
Out to lunch.
JDMJNKY

Present Day
Todays scout log.... while picking up some parts I dropped the heat riser off at a local parts store, having them match up a good gasket, let's see if any new part numbers have emerged.

Spark Plugs

Carb Base gasket

2210 Carb from a Gent named Ken out in Garden Grove, CA. Has the CA jet as well.

Took some time out to get rid of some grime surrounding the VC & exhaust manifold, gasket removal work on the exh. manifold flange, followed up by a port match and paint.

VC

heat shield trying some silvers on it, not too pretty.
Out to lunch.
JDMJNKY

Huge Thanks again to Mr. Joe V. I've procured a replacement heat riser valve.

Out to lunch.