1977 Scout II Traveler 345 v8 - questions about tires / brakes / suspension

Need some help with your IH? Just ask.
matthewbrush
Vehicle(s): 1977 Scout 2 Traveler

Hi there. I'm new to this forum and also a new owner of a 77 Scout 2 Traveler. I purchased the car recently in Joshua Tree and it's in impeccable condition, however, there are a few things that need to be done.

According to what I've researched, the travelers since 1976 had Disc brakes, however, I think mine has drum brakes.

I need to purchase new tires asap, as the tires on there are cracked / dried up and old. Thinking of BFG TKO2 but was wondering if there are any other better alternatives that look good and might not cost as much.

According to the mechanic that worked on this vehicle, he said I would need to rebuild the rear brakes, and possibly the front ones. Is it better to rebuild the drums or better to convert to Disc Brakes? What kind of costs am I looking at to convert disc brakes if I hire a mechanic?

Suspension: I'm not sure if it's original or not, but I do think it needs to be looked into. Do you folks recommend lifting this car or keeping it as close to original as possible?

I should preface that I want to enjoy it on weekends, take it on adventures, etc., but also want to be able to rent out the car for film / photo productions, as I'm based in LA.

Who's a good mechanic in the LA / Southern California region who works on Scouts??

Thanks so much!

Matt
Big John
No limits
No limits
Vehicle(s): 73 Scout 11 4X4, 71, 72, 73 Traveletes all 4X4's 3 IH Garands, IH refrierator And?

Post a picture if you can. If it's a 76 it should have disc's in front and drums in the rear.
Does it have a lift? The tires your asking about are good.
Suspension you may want to do a lift. Or replace all bushings.
matthewbrush

Thanks for the reply Big John. I spoke to a guy named John at Karol's Garage in Glendale and his dad apparently worked for International for 20+ years and so the family business has always worked on Scouts. He only restores to original and doesn't do mods / engine swaps / upgrades / etc.

He mentioned that he wouldn't put discs on the rear, and would simply rebuild the drums and replace the master cylinder. He asked me how much I'd want to spend on it and I honestly don't know enough about how much things cost to even give him a number.

I should say that I'm not a mechanic and I don't have space to work on my car. I'm just an enthusiast for these types of vehicles and happened to have finally pull the trigger. I did get new BFG KO2's, but I noticed the rear passenger side tire to be sticking out past the tire well and the rear driver side tire is actually siting further inside the tire well. Not sure what caused this.

Basically I'm just hoping to get some advice on what the best upgrades to do are to make the vehicle run reliabliy. Of course according to Anything Scout, they recommend an LS Engine swap, but that could cost me easily 10-15k I'm guessing with labor and all the other things you'd need to do to it.

Here's a picture of it.
1977 Scout 2 Traveller 5.6L 345
1977 Scout 2 Traveller 5.6L 345
ScoutJtree.jpg (2.26 MiB) Viewed 2702 times
Joe V
Half-tank
Half-tank
Vehicle(s): Bone stock Scout II

That is one beautiful looking Scout
Wickedtuna
Three-quarter tank
Three-quarter tank
Vehicle(s): 1975 International Scout II, 2002 Jeep Grand Overland, 2000 Toyota 4 Runner Limited

Morning, i don't know if its the picture or my aging eyes. But that looks like a Scout II not a traveler.
William Sousa
San Diego Chapter
1975 Scout II XLC
304, 727 A/T
SOA Full Width Chevy Axles
Big Ed
No limits
No limits
Vehicle(s): C1300 and 1110D

Wickedtuna wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 9:00 am
Morning, i don't know if its the picture or my aging eyes. But that looks like a Scout II not a traveler.
You’re right...
64 C1300 4X4, 345, T34, T18, NP202, D70F with ARB & 35 spline Chromoly axles, RA15 with Detroit Locker, 41" Iroks, front & rear PTO winches, recent makeover.
Desert Scout
Full Tank
Full Tank
Vehicle(s): 63 & 64 S80 4x4

Yup, thats a SII not a Traveler and looks to be in pretty good shape. Check out the spring bushings and body mounts, if there original they needed to be replaced long ago. A word of advise is to either learn how to work on it or find a buddy who can...it will get REAL EXPENSIVE having a retail shop do all the work it will need, and it will need some work, they all do.
Chuck & Ruthie
WN7CHK & KJ6RTJ
87 HD FLHTP
2011 Ranger S/C
1990 F350 Lariat S/C Dually
1990 S&S 11SCB Camper
matthewbrush

Yes it is a Scout II. For some reason, I thought the scout 2 was actually called a scout 2 traveler or terra depending on the model.

I wish I could find a buddy to help me with this! I'd gladly pay someone to work on it with. I'm an enthusiast about these , but a novice in mechanics! But yes, it can get real expensive.

Any suggestions?? Or is anyone on this forum dying to maybe do some weekend warrior work on this thing with me? I just took it to the shop and everything is pretty good. The bushings on the suspension need to be replaced, but the mechanic who works on classics said if you're going to replace those, you might as well replace the entire suspension, springs, tie rods, etc. and do it all it once.

I also need a new steering box because it leaks oil. Need some new valve covers and gaskets and also need to put on new hard brake lines, hoses, master cylinder, booster, proportioning valve, etc. It's front disc and rear drum. I think all of that will get it running great. I mean it runs great now! And the body is in excellent condition.

My one question is: IS it worth doing an LS conversion on this vehicle?? Or better to rebuild the original motor over time?

Thanks,

Matt
253-653-4924
Big John
No limits
No limits
Vehicle(s): 73 Scout 11 4X4, 71, 72, 73 Traveletes all 4X4's 3 IH Garands, IH refrierator And?

Matt Grapevine chapter meets the 2nd Saturday of the month. 9 June is our next meeting . 1030 am unless we have a work party. If you can bring it up we can take a better look at it and go from there. 661 246 3250 before eight pm. Won't be here Sunday and Monday.
matthewbrush

Thanks Big John! Is that close to Bakersfield? I will definitely try to make it out there that day if I'm not working :). Would love to meet some other scout owners and gain some insight into the scout world!

Hope to meet you sometime.

Matt