Frozen 4WD

Need some help with your IH? Just ask.
Ryanaustin
Vehicle(s): Traveller

Hi I’m looking at a Scout and the only issue is the 4WD is frozen. Owner didn’t appear to use so maybe just stuck but does anyone know the potential scenarios that may be in front of me and worst case scenario?
ShaunT
Three-quarter tank
Three-quarter tank
Vehicle(s): 74 Scout II. Orange Crush

Hi Ryan

We would need more info. Is the 2wd working fine? If so probably could be the hubs in the front, frond differential or bad transfer case.
Big John
No limits
No limits
Vehicle(s): 73 Scout 11 4X4, 71, 72, 73 Traveletes all 4X4's 3 IH Garands, IH refrierator And?

By.bY frozen? Do you mean the transfers case shifter will not let you move it into 2 wheel drive? Or is the truck stuck in four wheel drive? Is this truck stick or automatic?
Ryanaustin
Vehicle(s): Traveller

Sorry for not responding I didn’t get a notice of a response. It is an automatic and the 4WD is stuck, I’m unable to shift/access 4WD.
ShaunT
Three-quarter tank
Three-quarter tank
Vehicle(s): 74 Scout II. Orange Crush

Sounds like your problem starts at the transfer case... The shifter can get locked up pretty bad or you can have an issue with the transfer case itself. The automatics are tricky with shifting into 4x4.. You have put it in neutral and shift the transfer case as you shift the trans into drive... sounds like it wants to break but thats how it works.