Scouts West :: Forums :: Nuts and Bolts :: Anything goes

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
gas prices
Author Post
Bill Bennett
Sunday June 03 2012
Registered Member #40
Dues paying member of Scouts West
Travelling, not in the truck. See the price of reg fuel in Hays, Kansas is 3.39 per gal. Going to Ohio for my grandsons wedding.
Bill Bennett
75scout
Monday June 04 2012
brad spears

Registered Member #835
Speaking of gas prices.....& gas mileage
Just drove the Scout to Las Vegas & back this weekend to see the kids & their new house & help fix a few issues.
From my house in Anaheim to Ghost Town Rd (Calico), I got 11.4 mpg cruising 60-65 mph.
From Calico to Vegas, I got 13.4 mpg cruising 58-61mph.
About 15 miles on Vegas streets, then back to Calico, I got 12.0 mpg with a headwind/side wind cruising 58-61 mph.
From Calico to home, I got 9.3 mpg. At this point I just wanted to get home. I left Vegas @ 9 pm & got home at almost 2 am & had to get up for work @ 5 am.

Brad
LibertySand
Monday June 04 2012

Registered Member #561
Brad, you're a Manimal.

1972 IH Scout II
BRUISER II "I race a mean jack stand!"
Bill Bennett
Monday June 04 2012
Registered Member #40
In Independence, MO., tonight. Gas - 87 oct at the Shell station was $3.15.9. per gal. The Buick is showing 30.4 mpg. Distance travelled is 1754 miles.
Dent
Monday June 04 2012
Registered Member #682
Bill Bennett wrote ...

In Independence, MO., tonight. Gas - 87 oct at the Shell station was $3.15.9. per gal. The Buick is showing 30.4 mpg. Distance travelled is 1754 miles.

Your a wild man Bill, that is one heck of a drive. I know why its so much cheaper out there it's because they haven't switched to there summer blend, oh wait they don't have that scam.... Be safe out there and keep the rubber side down.

KJ6RUP
1976 Mostly stock Scout, body work by rocks....
Arnold
Tuesday June 05 2012
Registered Member #205
Drove Lobo out and back to High Desert Roundup 200 miles and change with a little less than 1/4 tank left when I got home. Maybe around 14-15 mpg? Have a safe trip Bill and Carol.
Website
BIGG WILLIE
Tuesday June 05 2012
cmy73ih
Registered Member #130
Dent wrote ...

Bill Bennett wrote ...

Your a wild man Bill, that is one heck of a drive. I know why its so much cheaper out there it's because they haven't switched to there summer blend, oh wait they don't have that scam.... Be safe out there and keep the rubber side down.

Bill Bennett
Tuesday June 05 2012
Registered Member #40
After leaving Independence, MO., I did see a couple stations with reg gas at $3.09 per gallon. Now at TeraHaute, IN, the 87 oct gas is up at $3.54. Pumps indicate 10% ethanol. Try to reach Akron, Ohio tomorrow.
Tim Potter
Tuesday June 05 2012
Registered Member #755
Ok this is pretty eye opening. Why do we pay a buck more per gallon for fuel in california than they pay in the midwest?
samfordscout2
Tuesday June 05 2012
Scoutin'
Registered Member #1434
Fatfinger wrote ...

Ok this is pretty eye opening. Why do we pay a buck more per gallon for fuel in california than they pay in the midwest?

.......demand.

WAIT....i bought a scout?
Dent
Wednesday June 06 2012
Registered Member #682
Fatfinger wrote ...

Taxes for our POS state government to squander away with CARB, and of course we have to use a different formula of gas. Just a guess of course....

KJ6RUP
1976 Mostly stock Scout, body work by rocks....
Tim Potter
Wednesday June 06 2012
Registered Member #755
samfordscout2 wrote ...

.......demand.

Honestly, I was thinking that that extra buck we pay was likely due to the higher taxes we are so accustomed to paying in this State. As near as I can tell, in California the State tax rate we pay is 50.6 cents per gallon of gasoline at the pump. This is a combined excise tax that includes state and local sales taxes. Each State has their own rate of taxes but, California and New York are the two highest in the Nation. The Feds tax gas at 18.4 cents per gallon in each State so in California the tax total is .69 cents per gallon. In States like Kansas and Missouri the total tax at the pump rates are 46.2 and 35.7 cents per gallon respectively so, it would seem that the majority of the extra cost at the pump here in California is in the base price of the gasoline itself.
LINK

Whether this is due to higher demand or extra costs associated with the specialized formulations of fuel required in this State still remains a question. It turns out that both factors are the reason our gas prices are so high here in California. This State uses specially formulated, cleaner burning fuels that are produced by very specific refinery's that cannot sell California fuel in any other State. Top that off with the different formulas for Winter and Summer fuel and the changeover time required to produce each and what we have is higher production costs and in some sense, higher demand due to possible shortages in the available mix. All due to the fact that we don't use the same fuel as the rest of the Country.

In California we are paying higher base prices for fuel to have cleaner air. In So Cal we commonly pay the among the highest gas prices even within our State. The differences we see at the local pump are dependent upon the location of the station, the level of competition for those stations and the affluence of the neighborhood. Apparently, more affluent people are less likely to go out of their way to seek out the cheapest gas they can find. I suppose there may be some truth to this. In my own travels I tend to buy gas at the most convenient location, I won't burn more fuel to drive across town to save 5 cents per gallon any more than I will drive across town to save .29 cents on an ear of corn.

LINK

In these respects, I guess what we pay at the pump for gas versus the rest of the Country is of our own making. Whether we perceive a benefit to paying higher fuel prices is a question of personal observation. Having lived here in the days when air quality was so bad that people were warned not to go outside; I clearly remember the days when going outside would make your eyes and lungs burn. I remember as a kid coming down from Big Bear with my dad and seeing the brown smog layer that hung over the entire basin. As cynical and distrusting of all government agencies and bureaucracies as I tend to be, even I, have to admit that the differences in air quality between then and now are palatable. I suppose I should stop complaining about the high gas prices here in California. Or, not....none of this addresses the high cost of a barrel of foreign crude versus drilling our own or the oil companies profit margins. Thank god there's still plenty of things to complain about; I was starting to get worried there for a minute.
Bill Bennett
Wednesday June 06 2012
Registered Member #40
Near Akron Ohio now, and 87 oct gas is at $3.54.9 gal. The amount of 'tax' per gallon is not posted at the pumps. I will ask.
Bill
Bill Bennett
Sunday June 10 2012
Registered Member #40
Well, the wedding went well. We will leave the Akron area on Tueday morning heading to Auburn, Indiana. Plan to tour the Auburn museum on Wed. I asked about the local fuel taxes but the station mgr said the taxes include the fed, state, township and some other taxes. From 5% to 7.5%. I paid $3.45 today for the 87 oct fuel. Contains full 10% ethanol. All taxes are included in the price he pays to the fuel delivery trucks. Said he makes about $.10 per gallon. I had to have the Buick front axle 'half shafts' replaced while in town. That did put a dent in the travel budget. Still showing 30 mpg.
Bill
Bill Bennett
Thursday June 14 2012
Registered Member #40
Toured the Auburn museum and found it quite impressive. Something like the Peterson museum in Hollywood. I spent some time with one of the docents and eventually asked him about the Scout III. He showed me where it was so I could take a picture. I asked if the door could be opened so I could get a picture of the dash. He took a quick look over the area and no one was close, so he opened the door for me. When I get home next week, I will see what I can do with the pictures. The upstairs have lights that seem to eliminate the need for a 'flash' on the camera. In Williamsburg, IA., tonight. That is where the 'Amana' colonys are located = where the Amana refrigerators were made. Mileage now at 29.8. Price for87 oct 'non ethanol' gas was $3.47.9. The ethanol added fuel was $3.37.9, because the Ethanol producers provide a .10c rebate to the stations and the octane rating is bumped up to 89 octane.
Bill Bennett
Sunday June 17 2012
Registered Member #40
Made it to Denver with the non ethanol fuel. Mileage has increased to 30.4 mpg. That is the overall average showing on the car computer since we left home on May 30th. Distance travelled is close to 4500 miles.
Bill Bennett
Sunday June 17 2012
Registered Member #40
Oh! Asked again about the taxes per gallon on the fuel but the clerks don't seem to know - or won't say. Only that the 'State taxes and any other taxes' are included in the price they pay for the fuel and are not a seperate cost.

Jump:     Back to top

-
WebRing Navigation Help
© 2007 WebRing Inc.
<< Prev | Ring Hub | Join | Next >>

Icons by DryIcons