"Old Blue" Project 1971 Scout 800B
Go to page  [1] 2
Author Post
BakoTruck
Saturday February 25 2012
Professional Mall Crawler
Registered Member #1964
Dues paying member of Scouts West
Today I just bought a 1971 Scout 800B. She is a very nice project to get into, a real diamond in the rough!
Very little rust under and on top, most is surface rust. It has 123,000 miles on it now, with the original 304. It also has the original drive train underneath and even came with the original manuals!
I'm the third owner of this fine Scout, I'm glad the previous owners took such good care of it! I hope I can do the same.

Right now as it sits, I would like to get it street legal for here in CA. I need to get the back tail lights fixed, the fuel pump is leaking while running, and the original seats need to be reupholstered. That is pretty much the issues that need to be addressed to get it going.
There is also many other things that need to be fixed, many little issues here and there.

Today I spent a lot of time cleaning out the inside, and checking out the car. Tomorrow I plan on cleaning out the engine compartment and checking out the fuel pump.

I'm going to be adding pictures of my progress and my driving adventures I will have with this Scout.
Hope you guys enjoy!

BakoTruck

BakoTruck
Registered Member #1964
This is how "Old Blue" looks like now.

Here is some of the major rust issues I'll have to address at a later date.

BakoTruck
Registered Member #1964
Here's some more pictures of the cleaning I did today.

Special Ed
Scoutimis Maximis
Registered Member #419
Looks like a good project. A few fix's and it could be a good driver.

LINK
Website
73IHC
Sunday February 26 2012
73 Just Like Me!!!!
Registered Member #980
71 you dont need a smog. 76 down no smog here in CA thats why I have a 73!! Oops sorry you want it street legal...
Tail lights shouldnt be to much of an issue. I had to fix mine and the only issue was that all the wires are Black! Just get a good test lamp, find the postives by having signal turn left and then right. If push comes to shove, you can always rewire front and back from the bulbs.

I just bought a 67 Sportop on ebay and maybe we can change pointers on em...

A whole lotta stuff to do on my rig!!!
LINK
Bill Bennett
Sunday February 26 2012
Registered Member #40
A little work with a whisk broom and wet rag and it will look a lot better! If the those tail lights work,
maybe just place a stock lens over them.
2scout2
Sunday February 26 2012
Richard R
Registered Member #118
Congratulations. She's a beauty.

clmscout2
Sunday February 26 2012
Registered Member #2140
Congrats! I'm a new Scoutswest member. I have a 1976 scout 2 XLC. It has been in my family since new. It has 110,000 miles on it and I have the original sticker that went into the window. Back is 76' suggested retail price was $6883.75. It has spent most of its life in a barn covered with dust. It has rust issues and currently doesn't run. The fuel tank suction line is plugged. Anyway, time to get the ol' girl running. It is currently in my barn waiting for me to get started. I still have the original tire that came off it new for a spare. Good luck on your scout and I'm interested in the progress.
mountainguyed67
Sunday February 26 2012
Registered Member #1882
When I got my 71 Travelall a couple years ago half of the lights didn't work. Most of it was due to ground. I had to clean connections and replace some of the wire contact ends that went inside the socket. A local parts store had them,but they were generic and had to be spliced in. Also the bucket needs to ground to the body. One of the tail light buckets would not ground and I put a wire to ground to make it work. Not that bad of a process really.

Nice looking Scout.

64 IH 1Ton,345,T34,T18,NP202,D70F chromolly axles ARB,RA-15 Detroit locker,PTO winch,on board air,on board welder,41" IROKs,crawl ratios 61:1,113:1,207:1,375:1 and still a work in progress.
BakoTruck
Sunday February 26 2012
Registered Member #1964
Thanks guys for all the responses, I really appreciate it.

The inside, (in case anyone is wondering) has old epoxy on the floor from the carpet. I think I'll just leave it for now. It's going to take a lot of elbow grease to get it off. Something I'll worry about at a later date.

Cleaned the engine compartment out today, however there is a lot of cooked on grease that is having a hard time coming off. May need to use a steam cleaner. Isn't doing any harm so I'll just leave it for now.

The fuel system is leaking a lot more than I thought. Looks like there may be 2-3 separate spots. Going to look up parts to rebuild the fuel pump. Kinda looks like it's going to be a hassle to get it out, but sounds fun! I just wanna get it out on the road already! lol
Dent
Monday February 27 2012
Registered Member #682
Congrats on the purchase and it looks like a solid 800 to start your project with; but the front seats look like they would be a little rough on a long road trip.... All kidding aside you should have no issues with the fuel pump they really aren't that bad but I would count on just replacing all of the fuel lines. Unless you know they have been changed at some point in time the lines aren't that expensive and are a good piece of mind item. When it gets to the point of going after the cooked on grease try the purple simple green industrial cleaner; mix it strong and use brushes to scrub it with. Might have to do it a few times but it really does good when combined with scrubbing.

Like Ed said the ground issue can be the biggest issue on the electrical for the lighting, just start by checking all connections, cleaning and putting back together and remember that dielectric grease is your friend. Looks like it should be a pretty straight forward truck to get back on the road quickly especially knowing the history behind it all. Once again congratulations!

KJ6RUP
1976 Mostly stock Scout, body work by rocks....
BakoTruck
Monday February 27 2012
Registered Member #1964
I was thinking about that today, about the fuel lines and maybe take out the fuel tank and have it cleaned and sealed.
Good idea on simple green cleaner, may have to give it a try.

Thanks guys.
Joe Hartman
Monday February 27 2012
Registered Member #693
mine used to look like that!

Joe
1971 Scout 800
360 V8 (yes, a 360) D44 Front and rear
SOA on 35 x 12.5
Detroit locker rear Yukon front
and a really cool radiator cap

mountainguyed67
Monday February 27 2012
Registered Member #1882
GHOST RIDER wrote ...

mine used to look like that!

The side view does wonders for your rig,from your avatar I thought it was a rusty stock rig.

64 IH 1Ton,345,T34,T18,NP202,D70F chromolly axles ARB,RA-15 Detroit locker,PTO winch,on board air,on board welder,41" IROKs,crawl ratios 61:1,113:1,207:1,375:1 and still a work in progress.
Doc Stewart
Tuesday February 28 2012
Registered Member #108
Easy Off oven cleaner gets caked grease off.
OsPho from Ace Hardware seals rust.

Doc Stewart
14 old IH trucks
IH old hippie club
BakoTruck
Saturday March 03 2012
Registered Member #1964
Thanks guys! Even though it's giving me headaches, I keep thinking how great it's going to be to get it on the road!

Finally was able to get the fuel pump out, I really had a hard time getting off the fuel lines. They just wouldn't come off. And the darn thing wouldn't slide out, had to take off the top of the fuel pump, which wasn't easy because of the cooling line in the way.

Also got the radiator out, and will take it to a radiator shop to get overhauled.

Here is some pics of the progress.

Dent
Saturday March 10 2012
Registered Member #682
How much progress did you make last week, things starting to go back together?

KJ6RUP
1976 Mostly stock Scout, body work by rocks....
BakoTruck
Saturday March 10 2012
Registered Member #1964
Dent wrote ...

How much progress did you make last week, things starting to go back together?

Yeah, things are coming along....but at a slow pace at this point. As the scout budget comes in, more and more will get done. As long as I can get the free time from work.

I'm waiting for the radiator to get fixed, should be ready early this week. Fuel pump came in yesterday. I still need to take out the fuel tanks, and clean them out and reseal. Need to also order some fuel line and flare kit, and various other stuff.

I was working on it a few minutes ago, cleaning up the fan shroud and will repaint early tomorrow. Will put up some pics.

Thanks for asking!
clmscout2
Sunday March 11 2012
Registered Member #2140
Bakotruck, I would recommend replacing the rubber fuel lines with a Ethanol rating. You can buy the hose at a marine shop or your local auto parts store (napa).
BakoTruck
Monday March 12 2012
Registered Member #1964
Didn't get much done, but did get some radiator stuff painted. Got the new fuel pump in too, but will wait to install in-till I get the new fuel line in.
Still waiting for the radiator shop to finish their repairs, but it should be done soon.

Go to page  [1] 2  

Jump:     Back to top

-
WebRing Navigation Help
© 2007 WebRing Inc.
<< Prev | Ring Hub | Join | Next >>

Icons by DryIcons